Full-Time/Part-Time permanent position.
Are you a motivated and compassionate leader looking to take the next step in your career?
Challenge yourself in this highly rewarding role by helping to expand the capacity and capabilities of our Veterinary team.
Supported by our Hospital Director, Tracy Hughes, this is an opportunity for an experienced or aspiring leader to help CVES provide veterinary services that delight our clients and patients. In this role there is ample opportunity to delve into team dynamics, problem solve and actively develop the clinic, among much more!
CVES is a busy and progressive 24-hour emergency clinic situated in Gungahlin, northern Canberra. We are a trusted leader in Emergency and Critical Care (ECC) for small animals and our vision is to set the highest possible standard for ECC medicine in Australia. We accomplish this by consistently providing quality services for small animals, whilst maintaining close relationships with our primary care veterinary practices. We have an inclusive and compassionate team of Client Care Representatives, Management, Nurses and Veterinarians.
You will also get to enjoy living in the hidden gem that is Canberra! Canberra is a well-developed, progressive, modern city that is large enough to have that big city feel with all the amenities and shops you would expect, yet is small enough that you aren’t stuck in traffic for hours. With five week’s annual leave, plus another week’s leave for professional development per year, you will have ample opportunity to relax and enjoy some downtime also.
Main responsibilities of the role
We are seeking someone who is passionate about helping our team achieve their goals and fostering a culture of continual development and operational excellence. You will have the opportunity to share your knowledge and mentor our veterinary team. The Canberra clinic has a team of 7 vets all from diverse backgrounds, some with memberships in ECC & Radiology and almost 20 years’ experience. The team is cohesive and supportive, always striving to ensure the best outcome for patients.
Specific tasks included in this role are:
- Manage a growing team of enthusiastic and passionate Veterinarians.
- Undertake regular performance appraisals and feedback with veterinary team members to develop their skills in line with business and personal goals.
- Manage roster co-ordination and budgets.
- Involvement in Human Resource functions such as recruitment, training and development, conflict and performance management and enhancing team culture.
- Assist in ensuring ongoing compliance with all relevant legislation, policies and procedures including Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Liaise with the director and form a management pair to improve both culture, work-life balance and job satisfaction among veterinary staff and also strive to develop CVES as a centre of excellence for all clinicians interested in emergency and critical care
- Form part of the leadership team to develop company strategies and quarterly goals.
What we look for in our leaders
- Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (or equivalent)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a veterinary role.
- Membership to the ANZCVS in Emergency and Critical Care (or working towards this) will be highly regarded.
- High level communication skills and confidence with the ability to influence, lead and motivate staff.
- A compassionate nature that is motivated by self-improvement and team success.
- Proven success with conflict resolution, open conversations and performance management processes.
- Ability to work shifts that may occur at night, across the weekend and on public holidays.
The successful candidate will be offered training in veterinary management and leadership to develop effective key skills for this role as well as competitive remuneration based on skills and experience.
Applicants that are interested in full time or part time work are welcome to apply. With a balance of rostered clinical shifts and dedicated management hours, the Veterinary Manager role is flexible in its rostering, given CVES is open 24/7. The successful candidate will be expected to perform around 25 – 30 hours per week clinically and 10-15 hours per week on administrative duties (a lot of these can be done at home).
Applicants are encouraged to contact Tracy Hughes at email@example.com to discuss the role further.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position role.