Honey stung by a bee

The Story

This is Honey. She is an absolutely adorable goldie who visited CVES the other day after developing a lot of swelling in her face. She was obviously in discomfort and was troubled by the itchiness and pain caused. After some communication with Honey’s mum, it was determined little girl was most likely stung by a bee.

As our triage nurse Kim comments “One of the most common areas affected by bee stings is in and around the mouth.  Bee stings can cause excessive swelling and discomfort to the site and sometimes anaphalaxysis.  It is important to examine the patient thoroughly on arrival to the clinic, including checking gums, nose, eyes.”

Just like humans reaction to bee sting can differ depending on the dog. That’s why adequate monitoring is very important. If you suspect your dog has been stung by an insect (or a bee in particular), keep an eye on them for at least an hour. Generally, first signs show fairly quickly, but in some cases, it is possible for reaction to be delated by hours.
Another thing that can occur and basically what emergency vets fear is anaphylactic shock. Quick acting in this situation is important. Most typical symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

  • Severe swelling (in neck and face area) that causes respiratory difficulties
  • Very bad agitation
  • Hives on the body (can be seen as small red bumps on the skin or felt under the fur)
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Disorientation
  • Seizures
    We would recommend you contacting your vet clinic ASAP if you’re seeing any of these symptoms.

Thanks to the quick reaction of Honey’s mum and professionalism of our nurse and vet teams, Honey was administered some medications and felt better nearly immediately. She is still the sweetest girl ever, but hopefully just for humans (not bees!).